Living Green In The Citys
Renovations: Cleaning Time!
I'd like to focus on safe cleaning products for the home and office. Who likes those chemical smells? No one! It's important to be aware of volatile organic compounds (VOC’s) when examining the various options in these product categories. This is a list of safe, low emitting cleaning products that I have tried and feel comfortable using. Remember, clean is not the scent of pine, it is the absence of smells.
For more information, the GREEN GUARD ENVIRONMENTAL INSTITUTE is the worlds leading resource.
What is old, is new!
Switch back to cast iron pans! Get rid of old Teflon coated pans that may have scratches...take possible dangers out of your life.
Switch to Mason Jars, deplasticize your home! Some of my favorites are from the Canning Pantry!
MCCULLOCH HEAVY DUTY MC1275 Steam Cleaner: Bag-less chemical free steam cleaner for the whole house. This is a great value, and an excellent product.
Available on Amazon.com, or at Wal-Mart and The Home Depot
Environmentally safe tips & products you can make yourself! DIY!
1. Clean Rags + Water: my first choice always when cleaning!
2. Water + Baking Soda: great when cleaning bathtubs, sinks, and a refrigerator/freezer! I put a small fresh sliced orange peel in the jar with this while I clean.
3. Water + White Vinegar + Slice of Lemon: cleans windows, mirrors and glass very well.
Tip: You should open a window when cleaning, as the vinegar smells for up to two hours!
4. Kosher Salt + Warm Water: Cleans cast iron pans safely.
5. Tea Tree Oil + Warm Water + Clean Spray Bottle: A natural antiseptic, antifungal, germacidal oil kills common household mold and mildew. Put one cup of warm water and 8 drops of tea tree oil in a spray bottle. Use with clean rag.
Tip: It can be used on any household surface.
6. Liquid Castille Soap: This cleaner is non-toxic. It is vegetable-based, not petrollium based. Mix 3 tablespoons with 2-3 cups of water, it can be used to clean your entire home. Additionally, it's safe to use on your face, hair, and body.
TIP: I always keep Dr. Bronners Liquid Castille Soap in my home.
7. Put Toilet Top down when you flush: This helps to stop the spread of germs in the bathroom.
8. Thieves Oil & all Thieves products: Use for cleaning. Put a few drop in spary bottle mix with water. For personal use: Rub 2 drops on your hands and bottom of feet.
9. Many Essential Oils have fabulous anti bacterial properties: Check out dotttera oils. (peppermint, lemon, bitter orange)
Great products you can buy!